How to Put Out a Grease Fire

Not all fires are the same, and they should not be treated the same. Grease fires are among the most difficult type of fire to put out. Attempting to extinguish it with water can make the fire grow, as water and oil do not mix. Grease fires are often associated with kitchen fires and they occur when the oil gets too hot when cooking. Oil will first begin to boil, then it will start to smoke, and then catch fire. If you are faced with a grease fire, here are some tips to help put it out.

1. Call 9-1-1

If the grease fire is growing rapidly, your number one priority is evacuating your home safely. Once everyone has safely evacuated, call 9-1-1.

2. Turn off the Heat Source

Your first instinct may be to move the pot or pan that is on fire to a different part of your kitchen, such as the sink, but this could end up splashing the oil on yourself or throughout your kitchen. It is best to turn off the heat source immediately and keep the pot where it is.

3. Use a Metal Lid to Cover the Pot or Pan

Oxygen adds fuel to a fire. Without oxygen, the grease fire will no longer be able to thrive and spread. Once the heat source is turned off, find a metal lid that will cover the entire pot or pan. Make sure to use a metal lid instead of glass to ensure it does not shatter.

4. Use a Fire Extinguisher

An efficient way to successfully put out a grease fire is by using a fire extinguisher. Fire extinguishers should be stored on every level of the home, especially in the kitchen. First Alert’s kitchen fire extinguisher is rated for grease fires and is small in design, making it perfect for storing in the kitchen cabinet. It is also important that you understand how to use a fire extinguisher before having to use one in the event of an emergency.

Remember, if you cannot put the kitchen grease fire out on your own, evacuate and call 9-1-1!