How to Put Out a Grease Fire

How to Put Out a Grease Fire

Not all fires are the same, and they not should be treated the same. Putting out one with a specific method could possibly make a different type of fire worse. Grease fires are amongst the most difficult type of fire to put out.  Putting it out with water can make the fire grow, as water and oil do not mix. Grease fires are often associated with kitchen fires and they occur when oil becomes too hot. Oils will first begin to boil, then it will start smoking, finally, it can catch fire. If you suddenly find your house smoke alarms going off due to a grease fire, here are some ways help. If your

  • Call 911!

If the grease fire is growing quickly, it is best to evacuate your home immediately. If the fire is growing rapidly, your number one priority is evacuating your home safely.

  • Turn off the Heat Source

Your first instinct may be to move the pot that is on fire to a different part of your kitchen. But this process could end up splashing the oil on yourself or throughout your kitchen. It is best to turn off the heat source immediately and keep the pot where it is.

  • Use a Metal Lid to Cover the Pot

Oxygen adds fuel to a fire. Without oxygen, the grease fire will no longer be able to thrive. Once the heat source is turned off, find a metal lid that will cover the entire pot or pan. Make sure to use metal instead of glass to make sure it does not shatter.

  • Use Baking Soda

Baking soda is an effective way to put out grease fires, but only if they are small. Don’t attempt this if your fire is quickly growing or if you don’t have a large amount of baking soda.

  • Use a Class B Chemical Fire Extinguisher

If you aren’t able to get the fire under control and you have a Class B extinguisher, resort to this. Keep in mind that using a fire extinguisher will cause a mess in your kitchen, but this is a small price to pay to put the fire out.

As soon as you hear your house smoke alarms sound due to a grease fire, do your best to put it out with the above methods. If you cannot put it out on your own, evacuate and call 911!