Home Fires Peak During the Holiday Season

According to the NFPA, the most home cooking fires occur on Thanksgiving. In 2015, fire departments responded to around 1,760 home cooking fires on Thanksgiving in the U.S. Make sure you are prepared this holiday season!

first alert smoke and co alarm family with fall decor near fireplace

Thanksgiving Fire Safety Tips

Never leave the stove or oven unattended.

Unattended cooking is the number one cause of home fires in the U.S.

Keep children away from stove-tops, open fires, lighters, matches, and candles.

The NFPA recommends you should keep children at least 3 feet away from the stove while in use or cooking.

Be careful of cords cluttering the kitchen.

Electric mixers and knives, coffee makers, and plate warmers can be electrical fire hazards due to the amount of electricity running through one or few outlets.

Test your smoke alarms.

Make sure to test your alarms before you start cooking and at least once a month after, so you will be alerted as soon as possible in case of a fire. First Alert’s Dual Sensor alarms are able to reduce false alarms triggered by cooking.

family learning about fire safety with fall decor

Rechargeable Home Fire Extinguisher

This extinguisher is ideal for use in any household location, and is designed to fight wood, paper, fabric, flammable liquid and electrical fires.

Carbon Monoxide Alarm with 10-Year Battery and Digital Temperature Display

This alarm alerts you to elevated carbon monoxide levels, with a digital display showing temperature and CO concentration. The built-in 10-year sealed battery offers continuous protection for the life of the alarm.

Combination Photoelectric Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm with 10-Year Battery

This low-profile alarm detects both smoke and carbon monoxide. The slim, easy-to-install design has a 10-year sealed battery that lasts the life of the alarm.

Tundra fire extinguishing aerosol spray

Tundra Fire Extinguishing Aerosol Spray

This extinguishing spray is easier to use than traditional fire extinguishers. It discharges four times longer than regular extinguishers, making it ideal for fighting common household fires, and its biodegradable formula used is easy to clean up by simply wiping with a damp cloth.