Thanksgiving Fire Safety Tips
Thanksgiving is a peak day for home fires. During the holiday season, the kitchen is the most frequently used part of the home. From baking cookies to the perfect turkey, the kitchen can become hectic and crowded during Thanksgiving. As you begin to prepare your holiday feast, be sure to keep these five tips in mind to ensure your family and home are protected.
1. Never leave the stove or oven unattended.
Unattended cooking is the number one cause of home fires in the U.S. according to the National Fire Protection Association. Make sure to remain in the kitchen when preparing food to keep an eye on it. If you are cooking a turkey, make sure to check the oven frequently to prevent an oven fire.
2. Keep children away from stove-tops, open fires, lighters, matches, and candles.
The NFPA recommends that you keep children at least 3 feet away from the stove while in use or cooking. Avoid any accidents or fires by letting them know the stove is hot and it is important to be alert. Also, make sure to keep any lighters and matches locked in a high cabinet to avoid starting a fire.
3. Be careful of cords cluttering the kitchen.
Electric mixers, coffee makers, and plate warmers can be an electrical fire hazard due to the amount of electricity running through the outlets. Also ensure cords are not dangling off the counter within arm’s reach of children.
4. Test your smoke alarms.
Make sure to test your smoke alarms monthly, but especially before the start of cooking season so you and your family are alerted in the event of a fire. Batteries should be replaced every six months or upgrade to our 10-year sealed battery alarms to eliminate the need for battery replacements and late-night chirps.
5. Have A Fire Extinguisher
If a fire does happen, make sure to have a fire extinguisher, especially in the kitchen. Remember, P.A.S.S when operating. Pull the pin, aim at the base of the fire, squeeze the trigger and sweep from side to side and you are all set.
Tundra Fire Extinguishing Aerosol Spray
This extinguishing spray is easier to use than traditional fire extinguishers. It discharges four times longer than regular extinguishers, making it ideal for fighting common household fires, and its biodegradable formula used is easy to clean up by simply wiping with a damp cloth.