A national survey reveals nearly three quarters of Americans think carbon monoxide (CO) can be “very dangerous” in the home, and their fears are warranted. CO is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the United States, according to the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Often referred to as the silent killer because one can’t see, smell or taste it, CO is a by-product of combustion produced by anything that burns fuel, such as gas furnaces, water heaters, barbeque grills, wood-burning fireplaces, stoves, alternative power sources and autos. Exposure to CO causes many flu-like symptoms and can be fatal.
That’s why it’s so critical for consumers to identify potential dangers and take measures to help protect themselves and their families against this serious threat. First Alert, a leading manufacturer of home safety products including CO alarms, recommends following these guidelines: